*MSC certified June 1, 2010
- Latin Name: Pleuronectes quadrituberculatus
- Location: Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands (BSAI) – primarily on the eastern Bering Sea continental shelf.
- Total BSAI Catch/Quota:
2011 catch: 23,650 metric tons; quota: 16,000 metric tons
- Products: H&G (headed and gutted), whole round
- Volume: Alaska plaice is approximately 3-5% of North Star Fishing Co.’s total annual production
- Size: Length to 62 cm, general H&G size: 350-1,000 grams
- Size Specification: H&G weight per fish
3L: 700+ gr
2L: 500-700 gr
L: 350-500 gr
M: 180-350 gr
- General Information: Since implementation of the Magnuson-Stevens Act (MSA), Alaska plaice generally have been lightly harvested as no major commercial target fishery exists for them. Harvest of Alaska plaice occurs as incidental catch in other higher valued fisheries. However, management changed significantly in 2008 with the implementation of Amendment 80 to the BSAI Fisheries Management Plan. Alaska plaice retention has increased and new markets have been developed.